Money Experiences

Monday, March 13, 2006

More Personal Finance-centric Version of the Engagement Post

OK, so the last post didn't really talk about Personal Finance all that much until the ending. Since you're probably here to read about Personal Finance, and not my life, here's a quick repeat of my tips for making large purchases:

1. Ask around.
When looking for a big-ticket item, ask your friends/family/coworkers where they've made similar purchases, and how happy they were with the outcome. I really had no idea where I would buy the ring, and probably would not have considered buying online, but my coworker's recommendation of BlueNile was so enthusiastic that I decided to give it a chance.

2. Look through all your options to lower the price.
A little after I'd told my parents that I was going to pop the question, my dad mentioned that I should take a look at a link he had sent me over a year ago. I opened it up, and right on the main page was a link offering 10% off of the setting when you build your own jewelry at BlueNile. I was already seriously considering BlueNile at this point, so that offer was just icing on the cake! I normally have a spreadsheet listing different companies that offer money off if I use certain programs, but I'd never included jewelry in the list. Make sure you check out any available offers before making your final decision.

3. Choose quality.
OK, so this may be stretching a little bit. I wanted to get the best diamond that I could afford, and was willing to sacrifice quantity (the size) to get it. When it comes to large purchases, I'm a big believer in getting the best product for your money. That's why I asked for a subscription to Consumer Reports as a Christmas present!

Keep these tips in mind the next time you're thinking of spending a couple grand, or even a couple hundred!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home