Money Experiences

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Taxman cometh

One of my goals this weekend was to get my taxes most of the way done. My dad used TurboTax for our family last year, so I went ahead and bought myself a copy on Amazon (and, after refunds, will get copies of Quicken and Norton Internet Security for free!) It's a very simple program, and unless you have some complicated tax situations, I'd recommend using it. The most complications that I had this year were earning money in two states and deducting moving expenses (My original home is in Pittsburgh, so that barely squeaks past the 50 mile threshold away from North Carolina to qualify), so it worked out all right for me.

Good news for me, I'll be getting a complete refund! Haha! Having graduated from college this past May, I was able to take the Lifelong Learning tax credit, which got most of my money back right there. That, combined with my state income taxes and moving expenses deductions gives me a nice little present coming up.

Of course, I wish that I hadn't given that money to the government for all this time. After all, way should I loan my money out at 0% interest when I could have been earning that in a savings account? Hopefully that won't happen again this year, since TurboTax helped me to create a new W4 that should help me to limit the automatic withholding.

I say that I wanted to get my taxes mostly done, because I'm not quite ready to file. I've become very unhappy with my current bank (more on that later), so I will be switching very soon. I would like to get my refund directly deposited into my bank account, so I'll just wait until the switch is complete.

Although...a thought just occurred to me. Could I get this deposited into my ING account? I need to look into this a little more. Wow, this blog is paying off already! Who knows if/when I would have thought of that without putting my thoughts down! Cool! If anyone is reading this yet, do you know if this can be done?

1 Comments:

  • You should be able to deposit directly to ING. Here's the routing info you need:

    ING Direct
    ABA Routing Number: 031176110
    Phone: 1-888-ING-0727

    Give 'em a call and ask.

    By Blogger Jeremy, at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home